Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Maui Wowie

Growing up, we had the luxury of annual vacations.  When my older brother and I were kids, our parents bought a time share in Palm Springs, and then joined the association so we could expand our destinations.  I distinctly remember the trips we took to Utah -- dancing in my bathing suit in a hailstorm -- and Waikiki -- where my bro caught an angelfish (we returned it to the sea at the end of our week).  When we became a family of six, we mostly stayed in Palm Springs: climbing mountains, relaxing in the heated pool, horseback riding, a couple of nice meals, and mostly relaxing with rented movies, books, and the good ol' Nintendo.  But then (suddenly, to my parents!), we all grew up, made our own summer plans, and Palm Springs became my parents' autumn getaway. 

My brother purchased a time share in Maui, and our weeklong trip to there, as I mentioned, was the first time for him to use it and our first family vacation since I-don't-know-when.   It's still quite a feat to get all six of us together, but it happened--plus Jax (and Little1) -- and it was a treat!  It was the two younger bros' first time to Hawaii, and the folks' and mine to Maui.  We snorkeled with fish, eels, and sea turtles; cooked fabulous meals (spam n' eggs, anyone?!), and relaxed -- something that each of us needed. 

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

kaanapali[k'anapali beach, 50 steps from our room]


honoluabay[honolua bay]


napilibay[napili -- aka 'turtle' -- bay]


waianapanapa[wai'anapanapa -- black sand -- beach]


roadtohana[shoreline on the Road to Hana drive]


 


fromlobbyday[our home away from home]


tolobbynight[looking into the lobby at night]


inland[inland view: lush and gorgeous]


haleakala[sunrise at haleakala summit]


banyan[banyan tree]


The week went by just quickly enough; will we be ready to go again next year?!  Perhaps in turns, and pull everyone together every few years.  In any case, it was a wonderful gift--my brother even surrendered his first-class seat for me on the return!  I'm sure my folks were very proud, and we younger siblings both proud and grateful.  Very-very thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment