Sunday, March 28, 2010

Birthday surprise: home edition

As if things couldn't get better, my family surprised me at our weekly family dinner with a card that said, "Happy birthday to your bum."  I didn't really get it, but such is my brother's humor.  As I was reading the card, he brought in the gift itself: a Victoria Ghost chair by Philippe Starck.  I'd been drooling over this chair for years (and its armed companion the Louis Ghost), but set the dream aside until I had a permanent home in which to place it.  I got to sit in it immediately during the dinner!


Here's where it sits now, back at my apartment:


[victoria ghost]



At the end of the week, Jax invited us over for what I thought was a casual firepit evening at their backyard.  But I discovered my best friends there, my parents, and friends continued to come during the night.  Turns out Jax had been in cahoots with them -- and that DC had known about this even before our London trip.  So much sneakiness!



[phaelenopsis]


[flowers]



On top of that, Jax had strapped little Baby G to her and put together an entirely home-cooked smörgåsbord including two pots of cider and hot cocoa (complete with bar of brandy, Bailey's, and other enhancements), finger foods, and cupcakes:


[birthday cupcakes]


[birthday blowout]


I was grateful not only for the turnout, but also for the opportunity for DC and me to announce our engagement in person.  Before I blew out my candles, I said, "I can't imagine anything to wish for this year, because all my dreams have come true."  And it's true!  Here's to the best birthday ever!  Thanks so very, very much, family and friends!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to know that your life is filled with much joy! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks, friend! That means a lot.

    ReplyDelete