Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Freshcut

It's no secret that hydrangeas are among, and may well be absolutely, my favorites. I spotted a large bush in a corner of Le Chef's backyard, and requested a few globes to bring home.  He happily grabbed the pruners and obliged.  I chose three just-beyond-their-prime stems:

IMG_2517[freshly cut stems]


IMG_2520[ at home, top view]


IMG_2523[at home, side view]


IMG_2519[at home, close up]


I like how antiqued the flowers look, the purples, blues, and greens singed a bit with brown at some of the tips. 


I also trimmed a few of the cuttings and planted them in some fresh potting soil.  Et voila:


cuttings[grow, little ones!]


Now, a week or so later, the buds are starting to get a bit greener and have grown a teeny, tiny bit.  I've put the pot on my dining table, which gets a bath of morning light every day, have kept the soil moist, and give it a few encouraging words each day.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll survive a four-day absence this (long, for me) weekend.  If not, I know where to go for more!

1 comment:

  1. [...] fledgling hydrangea and spearmint cuttings didn’t survive my week’s absence in Hawaii, and since then [...]

    ReplyDelete