Monday, June 7, 2010

Thrifting at home: books

Spring cleaning usually means throwing things out, right?  Especially when you're trying to makeunder your life, right?  But as I mentioned the other day, I think there is value in keeping things, too.  Not all the time, of course.  But sometimes.  Like all those vintage pieces in the kitchen.

What about books?  The past few years I have been nearly ruthless when it comes to purging them.  I regularly give books to friends -- even sending them cross-country -- and have you heard of Book Crossing?  I've only kept books received as gifts that I haven't read yet, which is already at least two boxes.  And I have all but replaced trips to bookstores with walks to the library during lunch breaks.

The other day I was tidying up the garage and came across a box full of books.  They are from DC's and his brother's childhood days.  Here are a few that I just had to bring out, to sit with and flip through slowly:

[billy goats gruff cover]


[troll]


[birds cover]


[birds, drawings]


[richard scarry cover]


[scarry boats]


These are intended for DC's nephew, who's three... but they're here now, for the three-year-old in me to rediscover. (^o^)

No comments:

Post a Comment