Thursday, August 26, 2010

Chicken katsu

Katsu, I guess, refers to breading and deep frying -- something that Japanese cooking has adopted from European cuisine.  Before living in Japan I didn't eat pork so prolonged my enjoyment of tonkatsu.  But once I had it there, it was over.  Japanese pork is so delicious!

These days, I am back to eating more chicken than pork.  It's still delicious when breaded and fried Japanese style, with tonkatsu sauce to boot!  Here's how my Japanese mom taught me to do it.


Pork or Chicken Katsu
Pork (chops, boneless) or Chicken (breasts or thighs)
Flour
Egg, beaten
Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)


chicken katsu prep[chicken katsu prep]


First, dust meat in flour until completely covered.
Second, dip meat in egg until completely covered.
Third, dip meat in panko until completely covered.

pre-frying[ready to fry]


Althought typically this is a deep fried dish, I don't like to use so much oil. I use a smaller pan and about 1/2 inch of oil. Fry the katsu on high until both sides are browned. Turn the heat to medium/low and continue to fry, turning the katsu over evenly. It'll be nice and cooked -- and still tender inside -- in about 12-15 minutes.

bon appetites![itadakimasu!]


Enjoy! Instead of the traditional cabbage that comes with tonkatsu, I occasionally will slice up some cucumbers. It is equally delicious! Though beer or sake is the norm, a sweetish white wine is also appropriate.  I suggest a sauvignon blanc or gewurztraminer.

1 comment: