Thursday, August 5, 2010

CSA

[CSA box]


Bring on the bounty! The colors and flavors of the farmers markets have changed from the leafy greens of winter to the stonepits, squash, and melon of high summer.

With an increased number of pick up points, it's easier than ever these days to order a box online and collect it at one's local farmers market. That's exactly what I did. But instead of it being for me, this summer CSA is a gift for a very good friend on the occasion of her birthday. She's super into veggies and has never done a CSA thing, so I thought I'd get her started.

As you can see, it is a pretty hefty box. Inside: Watermelon, honeydew, two ears of corn, four tomatoes, chard and two kinds of kale, purple/black basil, cucumbers, squash, and a couple of gourds whose names I don't know (the two in the center).  Oh, and a mutant heart-shaped eggplant.

[CSA contents]


I can't wait to hear what she does with all this!


Have you thought about supporting a local CSA?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an amazing gift! Looks so good. Thanks for visiting my blog. I hear you are heading to Japan soon? I wish I could go there. I miss it so much.

    ReplyDelete